Nowadays, network systems are used everywhere since they cope with a wide range of tasks, including datum storage, processing, and computing. Server furniture is used for storing expensive IT equipment in a safe and guaranteeing its smooth performance. Thus, every business, infrastructure, or facility needs such systems.
Metal cabinets and racks come as highly durable constructions for supporting hardware over a long time. A standard cabinet body consists of the main frame and mounting rails, to which devices are attached. However, a number of network rack accessories can be used to improve cabinet functionality and bring furniture from a “basic unit” to a “highly functional infrastructure piece”. Below, we’re going to consider the most popular and effective strategies to upgrade your rack.
Planning for an Upgrade
Even if you have a well-designed rack, you should upgrade it from time to time. The most popular reasons for cabinet upgrades come the need for hardware replacement due to deterioration, the production of more advanced models, unexpected breaks, etc.
When thinking about the need to upgrade your system, take into account the next parameters:
- Assessment of current needs. To make your system highly functional, you should realize its needs. Analyze what your system lacks at the moment, what devices can improve its functionality and capacity, etc. Make an analysis of the weak sides of your system. By identifying weaknesses, you’ll easily find the tools to eliminate them.
- Budgeting for the upgrade. Determine how much money you can spend on server rack renovation. Study the cost of new furniture and devices to make a planned estimate of future expenses.
- Future scalability considerations. Although you plan an upcoming upgrade, you should take a look in the future. Think about future perspectives and the need to expand a current system. In most cases, users need to increase computing capacities and power by adding new devices or substituting them with newer components. So, make sure to foresee these changes at the stage of planning cabinet layout.
- Selecting the right rack. The variety of models is huge; they differ in type, size, and construction. There are open frames and enclosed bodies, from compact desktop or wall-mount models to huge floor-standing ones, etc. Most models are customizable and provide multiple setup configurations. When determining the best option, pay attention to the type of fastening, place of installation, extra functionalities, required data cabinet accessories, etc.
Network system renovation is a responsible task that requires much attention and time. Only if you keep in mind all the above-mentioned points, you’ll upgrade your system effectively and correctly.
Guide on Upgrading Process
Now, let’s see how the improvement process takes place. Below, we’re going to explain the right sequence of steps to be performed to enjoy an effective upgrade. Use this checklist to avoid trouble and cope with the procedure quickly:
- Disassembling an old cabinet. Firstly, disassemble the existing system. Unplug all units, unfasten devices, and take them off. It is recommended to make an inventory list to avoid confusion or loss of components. Also, you can mark devices according to units. For instance, label equipment, depending on the belonging systems.
- Proper installation of a new rack. Once you’re done with the selection of the rack, make sure to assemble it correctly. Usually, one or two employees are enough to set up the furniture piece. The procedure takes about half an hour.
Note that when assembling the rack, you may need extra objects. Multiple network cabinet accessories help make furniture more functional and comfortable. For instance, shelves, hooks, ties, supports, etc. By adding such objects, the staff can fasten more devices, place them more ergonomically, etc. If you need quality server rack shelves, you can find them in Sysracks’ catalog. The company is a reputable provider of server furniture and supplements. Managers always help pick the needed solution and consult on any related issue.
- Migration of equipment. Rearrange components and units in a new cabinet. When preparing for this stage, it is advisable to use a 3D layout. Visualization helps design the most ergonomic layout, eliminating hazards related to hardware accommodation and allocation.
- Temperature control. When placing devices in the cabinet, make sure to consider ventilation paths and strategies. Think about what cooling methods you will use for temperature control. Proper system ventilation is vital to remove extra heat and prevent overheating. It is possible to use combined technologies to achieve more efficiency.
- Cable management. When equipment is housed and all units are fastened, it is time to connect them to a PDU and each other to ensure smooth feeding and communication. Different types of cords are used to guarantee stable connection to a power source and organize communication between system units. Multiple server rack accessories are used to keep wires organized and prevent tangling. These are hooks, ties, organizers, arms, etc.
Server cabinet arrangement is a responsible and time-consuming task since employees should foresee too many aspects. Yet, if one has a structured plan, it is not as complicated as it seems. The principle thing is to have a clear vision of what you want to achieve by rearranging an existing system. Further, by using a set of tools and techniques, you can develop a detailed plan for each stage.
Server rack enhancement is an important task. Yet, when it comes to equipment fastening, server cabinet accessories come as handy tools that help simplify the process and provide wider opportunities for setup. Process accomplishment depends on the skillfulness of the staff and its coordinated work. So, feel free to use the above-mentioned checklist to simplify the task and enjoy an excellent result.