These days, as the banks in India have embraced digital banking services like mobile banking, internet banking service and UPI banking, we all make transactions on a daily basis even for buying a small thing. So, it is very important to keep a regular check on our transactions and the balance in our accounts. It will let us know the expenses we make in a month or some specific time period and help us manage our finances properly. So, let’s see how we can keep a check on the transactions we make. HDFC Bank, one of the most popular banks in India provides a lot of banking services. It has also introduced mobile banking services and a new digital mPassbook HDFC. This is just like the traditional passbook in a digital form. To know how it works, let’s first know what a bank passbook is.
What is a bank passbook?
A bank passbook is a physical booklet provided by a bank which contains the transactions and activities carried out. It includes records of deposits, withdrawals, transfers, interest earned or debited, and the current balance. Customers use the passbook to keep track of their financial activities and to verify the accuracy of transactions within their accounts.
What is mPassbook HDFC?
With the advancement of technology in the banking sector, many banks now offer electronic versions of passbooks accessible through mobile apps or online banking portals. HDFC Bank also has introduced this feature. You don’t have to download it separately, it is integrated into the HDFC mobile banking app or you can also have access through Internet banking.
To access the HDFC e-Passbook, customers can follow these few steps provided below:
- Download the HDFC Mobile Banking app or log in to the HDFC Net Banking portal using your login credentials
- Find the ‘e-Passbook’ section and click on it.
- If you have more than one account, you have to choose the account for which you wish to view the passbook.
- Then, enter your password for authentication.
- Now you can view all your banking transactions and current account balance.
Benefits of HDFC Passbook:
- It enables customers to monitor banking transactions and account balances without much effort.
- HDFC Passbook provides easy tracking of all banking activities.
- With the HDFC e-Passbook, customers don’t need to visit the bank branch for updating their physical passbook.
- HDFC e-Passbook ensures a secure and protected method for accessing banking information.
To check your transaction history and other account information, you can also download a statement. Follow these steps to download an HDFC bank statement.
- Go to the official website of HDFC internet banking portal and log into your account using the login credentials.
- On the account section, you will see some option options. Find the ‘enquire’ option and tap on it.
- Select the account for which you want to download the statement, if you have more than one account.
- Select the duration of the statement. You can select the given timeframe such as last month, last year, 5 years, etc. or you can also select manually entering the starting date and ending date.
- Select the format of the statement and click download and the statement will be downloaded in your device.
- It will contain your transaction history, current balance, outstanding payment, etc.
Other banks in India provide the same banking services. If you have an account in Indian Overseas Bank, you can use IOB internet banking service or mobile banking for IOB statement download.
To have access to the Internet banking service, you need to register yourself first.
Internet banking registration
- Launch your device’s web browser and navigate to your bank’s official website.
- Look for a sign-up or registration option within the ‘Online Banking’ or ‘Login’ area on the site.
- Enter required information such as your account number, card details, and personal data. The bank will then send a verification OTP (One Time Password) to your registered mobile number.
- Proceed to create a user ID and a strong password, ideally incorporating a mix of letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Once registered, you can access your account using these new login credentials.
- Often, banks prompt for additional security measures like setting a security question and answer or linking a registered device for enhanced security. Choose security questions and answers that are easy for you to remember to avoid future confusion or difficulty in password recovery.
If you want a shorter duration of transaction history, you can go for a mini statement. Mini statements can be acquired in many ways: a phone call, an SMS, ATM, Internet banking, mobile banking, etc.
Mini statement through phone banking
You can get a mini-statement just by calling the mini-statement number provided by the bank. Dial the number from your registered mobile number and follow the instructions given by the IVR or talk to a customer care representative. The mini-statement will be sent to your mobile number in the form of an SMS. It will contain the last 5-10 transactions and the current balance in your account.
In the same way, you can send a text with a certain code to the mini statement number provided by the bank. This code may vary from bank to bank. Then, shortly after the text is sent, you will receive an SMS from the bank containing the last few transactions and the current balance in your account.
For this service, your mobile number should be registered with the bank. Follow this guideline to register your number.
- For online registration, you have to go to the official website of the Bank.
- Then, on the profile section see if there is an option for “update mobile number”. Select that.
- Then, next step is to enter the mobile number you wish to update. Enter all the other required details such as your account number, name, address, etc.
- Then, your mobile number will be registered with the Bank.
- If you want to do it offline, you need to go to a nearby Bank branch.
- Request the staff for a mobile number registration form.
- Enter all the required information such as your personal details, account details and the mobile number you wish to register.
- Submit the form and after it is verified, your mobile number will be registered with the Bank.
Mini statement through ATM
This may take a little time as you need to go to an ATM but, it is still more convenient than visiting a bank branch. Go to a nearby ATM and insert your bank card. Then, you will be prompted to enter the 4-digit PIN of your card. Do not disclose this PIN to anyone, keep it confidential. It can be misused by anyone if found. There will be some options on the ATM screen. Out of the options, select mini statement. You will get the mini statement printed on a piece of paper. Do not forget to take your card from the card slot.